- Jiaogulan also referred to by its scientific name Gynostemma Pentaphyllum, is an herb native to Thailand and other various parts of South East Asia. In China Jiaogulan is called the "Herb of immortality".
Jiaogulan has been used in China for centuries and known as the Herb of Immortality.
- In the 1970's Japanese researchers found that Jiaogulan contains over 80 different saponins (gypenosides) compared to the 28 found in ginseng. Saponins are the chemical compounds responsible for the adaptogenic ( biological response modifiers), effects of Ginseng.
- Jiaogulan benefits may include:
- Energy. Several Chinese studies have demonstrated that Jiaogulan could help improve energy and endurance levels in athletes. One study published in 1993 showed improved cardiac output compared with other Chinese herbs.
- Immune health. Jiaogulan may boost the body's immune system because of its antioxidant properties and its ability to regulate the production of Nitric Oxide.
- Heart Health. Numerous animal studies have demonstrated that jiaogulan may reduce LDL while raising HDL in the blood.
- Mood and Stress. Adaptogens like jiaogulan may decrease the body's susceptibility to illnesses by letting it adapt to stressful situations.